Indian Homemade Cooking Class in Stone Town
Experience authentic Indian life during a cooking class in Stone Town! In the home style kitchen of a welcoming Indian expert Chefs you’ll learn to whip up Indian cuisine and get a first-hand look at local customs. Learn about Zanzibar spices, fresh produce and other ingredients that make up your home style -cooked meal, and then share dinner — including ‘massala chai’ (spiced tea) and dessert — with your newfound friends. Numbers are limited to 12 people, ensuring a personalized experience with a small group.
- Indian Homemade cooking class in Silk Route Restaurant
- Learn about Zanzibar spices and other ingredients from a knowledgeable guide
- Cook Indian food with a local family and get to know their way of life
- Taste the fruits of your labor as you enjoy dinner and dessert with your hosts
- Small-group tour with a maximum of 12 people ensures a personalized experience
- This home style -cooking class offers a unique peek into the world of a local family where you can experience Indian culture first-hand.
What You Can Expect
Meet your guide in front of your accommodation and ride a luxury minivan to Silk Route Restaurant. After you’re introduced to the expert chef, enter the kitchen where you’ll learn all about Indian cuisine during your small-group cooking class.
Infused with coconut oil, the dishes in this culinary tradition incorporate a different mix of spices than are commonly used in Stone Town. Listen as your instructor offers a lesson on Indian spice blending, using spices such as turmeric, cumin, mustard seeds, pepper, chilies, ginger and garlic with vegetables such as okra, beans or lentils.
The meal that you prepare will be made with fresh, local ingredients and seasonal vegetables, but how much you get involved with the cooking is completely up to you! You also have the opportunity to make massala chai, a classic Indian tea, as well as a traditional dessert called Kaimati, a typical Indian sweet infused with green cardamom.
Once your delicious dishes are prepared, chat with your expert chef while you dine on your creations and learn about local customs — they’ll even demonstrate how to properly eat with your hands!
Afterward, your guide will accompany you back to your hotel by luxury minivan.